Monday, November 22, 2010

Lying Low & the Baehr Barf-o-rama

Well this is one of those weeks in our Novembery November where there's not much to report- no exciting travel, no momentous occasions. I'd say the first half of the week was just recuperating and doing our normal routine of homeschool and visiting the familiar haunts: Natural History Museum, Science Center, British Museum. We did, however, get out to see some fun Christmas lights and displays via Regent Street and its shopping and then Harrods on Sunday. I had never been to Harrods and it is, indeed, spectacular. The extravagance and attention to detail makes you feel like you've stepped into a movie production. Photos and video to follow with J's next post.

As far as this week goes, it would be easy enough to bypass Thanksgiving altogether, since the Brits are, but we are taking Jason's students to a dinner on Thursday at a barbecue joint up the road. It should be a healthy reminder of American goodies.

So, we've got about 4 weeks left and that sounds amazingly short. I know it will whizz by, which is both good and bad. I will be very ready for home, but I know I'll miss this strange little world we have developed here. This is, I'm sure, the most isolated we've ever been as a family. We've moved a lot, had plenty of transitions, but in each scenario we plugged into something, had some interface with others (well J does with students, but...........).

We have this rain shield for Oliver's stroller that rolls down and velcros at the bottom. It's incredibly handy and we call him the boy in the bubble. I think in some ways we are actually the family in the bubble, just traveling around in our own orbit, insulated from the outside world: enjoying, observing and reflecting but not connecting and knowing other people and that is so very weird to me. I definitely need some warm bodies to engage with. I guess I'm more of an extrovert than I think sometimes. Again, this is a unique "sabbatical" with the family, but not a sustainable life. (I haven't given up, but with the weather changing it will be even harder to meet people at parks, etc.)

One thing, one little tiny way I see some connection, some penetration of this anonymous traveler syndrome is our little Oliver and his relentless pursuit of the gaze of strangers. I kid you not, the little guy, on EVERY train ride and EVERY endless and crowded "lift" ride, locks eyes with some unsuspecting (and usually seemingly uninterested) person, tilts his head and grins the yummiest smile he can conjure up. Without fail, they are disarmed and smile back and continue to play a little "footsie," so to speak. It's pretty sweet and it gives me a reason to smile when I'm otherwise wanting to find the escape hatch in those tight quarters.

Oliver had an icky flu spell the lasted 24 hrs. and it's now spreading like wildfire. Brendan had his "moment" today and is passed out beside me. The creepy little guy really does sleep with those big beautiful eyes at half mast- sometimes I think I've imagined it. Lily, our strong Lily, had only said she felt a little off. I guess it should have been painfully clear when she actually walked away from the movie, but she was just hanging in her room and then I heard the horrid sound of another one biting the dust. She just dealt with it herself, safely got to the toilet and was pretty mellow about it. Let me just say that holding puke bowls for 2 kids is REALLY hard with a (now recovered) toddler chasing you around, ever so interested in what's happening. So, Jason's now saying he's feeling something and I am pretty sure this mama is going to need to run away for a day or so in the week ahead.

Oh, but, as an aside- and maybe a long one at that- when Oliver started this whole fiasco, he literally laid around on the floor, on a bed or on the couch all day, looking both pathetic and adorable. His cheeks were flushed and his body was steamy. Before bed, I saw Brendan sitting next to Oliver (who was draped across a pillow) writing in his notebook and looking at Oliver off and on with a very pensive expression. I joked that it appeared that Oliver was his muse (it was like that scene in Titanic, but without all the sexual tension :)) Anyway, Brendan said he was writing something but I couldn't see it. In the end, he shared it with Jason and later me, and it was this amazing poem all about the beauty and wonder of Oliver. Blow me away.................. this "art" was brewing inside my wonderful 9 year old. I could certainly never have assigned that in "homeschool" or cajoled him to get that........ (he'd kill us if we posted it, but it was precious).

Well, here's to health and better days........... either way we are blessed (though a little barfy).

Blessings to you this week!
Erinn

No comments:

Post a Comment