Thursday, December 2, 2010

Finishing Strong

So, I just wanted to say that we're new at this. New at bracing ourselves for the rush of cold air as we open the door, new at chapped lips, cheeks and hands, new at even considering long underwear, new at that puffy feeling you get with multiple layers. My crazy kids actually admitted to not wanting to wear their down vests today for fear that they would look chubby or fat! What?? I promise that I really do keep my "does this make my butt look big?" thoughts to myself. These little loons are picking a fine time to develop any fashion sense. This newness is bringing about both bliss and some blahs. Going out has always had its challenges and required a little self talk for me (tube, 3 kids, you know....), but now the weather, as charming as the snow  is, can really slow us down. It's a real production getting out the door.

Ok, so now my mantra must be "finish strong." I read some quote recently that is pretty well known that states "when you tire of London you are tired of life" or something like that. That's motivation enough for me, at least I think it is. No, really, we are still loving so much about this experience, but, no, I wouldn't want it to last any longer- not unless I completely rearranged our world here and we really plugged in.

Some recent highs have been cracking up with Brendan and Lily as we read books like "Silly Ninky Nonk!" to Oliver- he's totally gripped by it ("The Pontipines decided to go for a ride on the Ninky Nonk- what a silly Ninky Nonk")- you try reading this without breaking into your best English accent.; seeing how much Brendan and Lily loved the movie "Singing in the Rain." Lily keeps saying, in a pretty good impersonation, "what do ya think I am, dumb or somethin'?" Ahhhhh, she is so decidedly un -British. I might just lose my mind trying to raise her here. Her loud and deep voice carry and her little pants droop- she had some interesting "plumber crack" tonight while making a snowman at this tree lighting and I, right or wrong, could just feel the English eyes boring into my backside (see, I was pretending not to know her.........); and lastly, playing the "that's so you" game that my kids have developed (and btw, this is getting very old right about now). Basically, my kids look at any advertisement or theater poster and find the least desirable or weirdest character and yell out "Oh, Mom" or "oh, Dad, that is soooo you," while pointing at said character. Of course we reciprocate and it's really a big dumb-fest, but with all this seriousness and appropriateness around us, we need a dumb-fest or 2, don't you agree? Quite. :)

We did get a mini Charlie Brown Christmas tree. We are looking forward to continuing the Jesse Tree tradition this year- it really has brought a lot to our experience of Christmas. Oh, and the pic below is Brendan feeling a little sick of the cold and me practicing my best parenting techniques before another tube ride.

Lots of love,
Erinn

1 comment:

  1. u r RUDE seriosly i thought u were nice INCORRECT RUDE RUDE RUDE

    ReplyDelete