Thursday, December 23, 2010

Looking Forward, Looking Back

So, we’ve all (minus Oliver) made some attempt to articulate what we’re most looking forward to about being back home and what we think we’ll miss most about our time in London. Here goes:

LILY:

Most looking forward to …

1.       Seeing Sierra (our golden retriever)
2.       Getting my own room
3.       Sleeping in my own bed
4.       Having a sleepover with my friends
5.       Going to the bay

Will miss the most (or just loved doing) …

1.       My birthday in Paris
2.       Seeing the musicals Oliver, Matilda, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera
3.       St. Paul’s (climbing to the top of the dome)
4.       The hotel in Stratford-Upon-Avon and getting to see Shakespeare’s house
5.       Snow!

BRENDAN:

Most looking forward to …

1.       My lava lamp
2.       Getting my own room
3.       Our backyard
4.       Seeing Sierra
5.       Seeing friends

Will miss the most (or just loved doing) …

1.       The Science Museum
2.       The Natural History Museum
3.       Paris
4.       Oxford
5.       Snow!

ERINN:

Most looking forward to …

1.   Being able to easily call my family. Sharing life with my girlfriends. Our neighborhood. And not always feeling a little in the way. Kids are "welcome" in London, but mysteriously absent from most things we did, so I was constantly feeling like muzzling them and saying "can you please just not be children for 4 months? Then, I promise, you can act like complete animals in good ol' Long Beach." I found myself caring, way too much, about keeping up the appearance that we had our act together and I'm sure it carved out a new cauldron or two in my own soul.
2.   Kids back to a more balanced life: though it was nice to have them to ourselves in some ways, I know they were tiring of the pace that we were keeping and the lack of friends and, though they couldn't articulate it, physical activities beyond walking all day.
3.   Better weather/the ocean: we loved experiencing the beautiful fall and the winter with its snow, but we were growing tired of the more extreme cold with the limited gear we had coupled with our having to walk everywhere (and weren't up for shopping for a bunch of new stuff).
4.   Familiar grocery shopping & eating (good ol' Trader Joes).
5.   Sleeping in a nice bed that doesn't creep me out. Oh, our deck and a backyard!

Will miss the most …
1.       Living in a cultural mecca with amazing historic sites so readily available and so FREE.
2.       Living in a vibrant city with the hustle/bustle of urban energy and sharing that with my kids and watching them navigate it and mature.
3.       The inspiration that comes with living the lifestyle we were living (hopefully we can continue this at home, but this was a unique, focused and rich time that will be hard to replicate)
4.       Good theater always available (we're pretty spoiled in southern CA too, but this is London!)
5.       The amazing diversity of cultures and languages and how that broadens your picture of the world.
6.       Hearing English accents and diction: love it, love it, love it and wish it were mine. Faking it around the house only fills the void a little :)
7.       Walking EVERYWHERE. At home, we're proud when we walk to Trader Joe's up the street. Here there's no option and it feels good (especially before the snow).
8.       Oxfam, Oxfam and more Oxfam (I mean the little Oxfam-sponsored thrift stores vs. the charitable organization itself: I mean, sure, I'm glad the $$ goes to someone deserving, but that wasn't exactly what thrilled me as I walked by). I loved just the mere possibility that I might find some gem at one of these "Goodwill" like stores. Trash to treasure, right?
9.       High Street Kensington. I don't know why, but just saying the words satisfies something in me.
10.   Double decker buses.
11.   All the "sorrys": despite Jason's post about a judgmental spirit in the air here, there's also the law of consideration and decency that pervades the culture. It left me feeling a sense of protection and trust in this foreign place. Always someone, even a teenager, to lift my "pram" or stroller up the stairs at the subway. (You see, Brendan stopped "manning up" a loooooooooong time ago.)
12.   The clothing of the little ones: from student uniforms to everyday coats, those little cuties warmed my heart, though I'm pretty sure the appearance belied a cheeky lee-to attitude.
JASON:

Most looking forward to …
1.       Being back with friends, family, and neighbors in our wonderful community in Long Beach.
2.       Having an office. As far as working goes, I’ve been a man without a country here: can’t work in our flat; no place to really read and write at the foundation where I’m teaching; the libraries near us are crammed and keep very limited hours; and it’s not customary to spend long hours at a coffee shop like it is in the US.
3.       Sleeping in a comfortable bed sans baby in the room or bed. Oliver beware: some serious sleep training lies ahead!
4.       A more rigorous exercise routine. We do *a ton* of walking here, which is great; but I’m looking forward to actually breaking a sweat.
5.       Having a bit more living space, a yard, and weather that permit easy access to the outdoors (by more living space I mean 1350 square feet rather than 900).
6.       Cooking with gas! Seriously.
7.       Wearing clothes that have been in a dryer (vs. on a dryer rack). And not having to wear an article of clothing five or six times before it gets washed.
8.       The availability of a good selection of IPAs. I figured IPA would be readily accessible in London, given its British/Indian history. But the beer selection at grocery stores was weird and very limited. And while the pubs we went to occasionally had some good ales, they mainly offered Heineken, Stella, Moretti, a couple not very interesting English standards, and Guinness. I like Guinness, but not as much as I like a good IPA.

Will miss the most …

1.       The history, art, and beauty of this city. I’ll really, really miss all the wonderful museums, the beautiful architecture, the sprawling parks and gardens, the churches, the musicals, and much, much more!
2.       Strolling the streets of London with my family. This is one of my most cherished memories: just walking together at a leisurely pace through the city, taking in all the sights, sounds, smells, etc.
3.       Our “bubble time.” Aside from several wonderful visits from friends and family, we’ve lived in a bubble here: living together in a small flat, homeschooling, going on countless excursions just the five of us, and not really making any friends. Suffice it to say that we’ve had *loads* of quality time together as a family. At times, this has felt suffocating for some or all of us; but it’s mostly been wonderful and has made us even closer as a family.
4.       Seeing our kids embrace and (try to) adapt to a foreign environment and culture. This has been a real delight. Brendan has become fully competent on the subway (he’s great at identifying which train we need to catch, when we need to get off, etc.). Lily and Brendan have embraced learning about English history, literature, and art. They’ve also done lots of excellent sketching and drawing much of it inspired by the art or other things they’ve seen here. Lily has cultivated a great English accent (though it alternates between cockney and posh).
5.       The seasons! While 70 and sunny 350 days a year really is nice, one thing I’ve learned about myself is that the changing of the seasons ministers to me deeply. We have experienced three distinct seasons in these four months. When we got here, it was warm and the flowers were in full bloom. By mid-October the trees were aflame with color. Now the leaves have fallen off the trees and it’s dumping snow! (They’re now saying that December is on track to be the coldest month on record in England!)
6.       Sweets and hot drinks in beautiful museum cafes. This has become a little tradition for us. Many of the museums here have lovely and cozy cafes that serve tea, cappuccinos, and various sweets (cakes, scones, croissants, etc.). My favorites are the ones at the Victoria and Albert Museum and the National Gallery.
7.       The ease of getting around via public transportation (busses and subway).
8.       The pervasive availability of Indian food and ingredients. Like I may have mentioned in a previous post, one can get Indian spices, naan, even tikka masala in a can, at just about any local convenience store (and the selection of Indian foods and ingredients at major grocery storse is amazing). Ground cardamom, which is about $10 per (tiny) container in the US is about three pounds or $4.50.

I’ve got one more post to make – a tribute to my wife and kids. I’ll try to get it up before Christmas. Then we’ll be signing off. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. We've so enjoyed reading about your experiences- we can't wait to see you again! Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete